How can RRE grow & break out to next level as touring band?

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

Re: How can RRE grow & break out to next level as touring band?

New postby Sister Fennario » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Actually I think Monkey would be a better video because it's a more catchy tune. The...on the left...on the right... refrain is built-in choreography and the preacher's daughter in me likes the moralist-ish message as well.

What would be great, if it could be conveyed in a video, is how much fun and what a joy it is to be at a show dancing with everyone. Is it possible for people to dance as freely when there's a camera on them? i don't know. While i think this would bore the uninitiated to have most of the focus on a live show (either stage or dance floor), to cut to the inside of a show experience for a few seconds at a time throughout said video would hopefully entice viewers to explore this band more.

The other part about Monkey is that it is in a way further development of the traditional Monkey and the Engineer, which could be also included in a video. Animation/special effects could make something very funny come out of this as well. Trying to get the monkey off my back can be a funny picture (or several) if you picture it literally, visually.
Sister Fennario

New postby Dr.GT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:59 pm

A few thoughts:
With regard to the original question on this thread I agree that the key is more ticket-seeking fans. How to get more such fans? Possibilities:

First, it's up to us to share their music with anyone we think would be receptive to them.

Second, we need to be calling and emailing independent radio stations and requesting their songs - the songs that would appeal best to someone listening to them for the first time, and are not considered by DJs to be too long. Perhaps "When the Sun Gets in Your Blood", "Monkey" and "One More Night…", or "Chasin'..." from the new album. I think "When the Sun…" is the best to start with. The great beat, great sing-along chorus, and overall energy of that tune (especially when it kicks up in the bridge) is sure to draw people in. Why do I say 'independent' (listener-supported) stations? Because their listeners are more discerning. These are the stations that first played "Mumford and Sons" and "The Lumineers" before they eventually blew up. Also, pop/commercial stations simply will not play RRE. This includes "Country" stations that really just play formulaic, boring, pop crap. RRE will never be "pop" because they aren't 20-something hot boys. But I'm getting off track.

Third - video exposure through appropriate avenues. I agree that public TV shows like "Austin City Limits" or "Live from the Artists Den" are the best fit. I also agree that late night show performances are key, and that Brian should consider attempting to set these up. (A personal fantasy of mine for a few years has been imagining seeing them nail the a cappella end of "Railroad Earth" on Letterman). As for music videos - I doubt one would reach the critical mass to go viral, but if their budget allows for a creative, well-produced video, it can only help.
A key wrinkle with RRE is simply the number of guys in the band between whom profits must be shared. The finances are just harder than for a duet or trio. As for venue size, I think they're better suited for the medium-sized venues, and if they can sell out one of those, then add a second show there. Sell out 2, add a third.

Fourth - The new album should be mailed to whoever makes decisions about the lineup at the Americana Music Festival, or whoever decides who gets nominated for Americana Music Association awards. I believe RRE needs to be on the radar of the Americana community. I believe this is where they fit best. Americanamusic.org . The band members and Brian should consider becoming voting members of this organization if they aren't already. Artists may join at the rate of $35 per year. For industry professionals the rate is $75 per year. In my opinion RRE are way better and more "Americana" than groups such as "Mumford and Sons" and "The Lumineers", and both of those bands have gotten nominations in the past from this organization.

Now, these are some of the things I wish for the band, and that I think would increase the fan base, perhaps ushering them to the the elusive "next level". *Of course what we as fans want does not really matter as much as what the band members themselves want. It would be interesting to hear what their ambitions are, even without specifics.

p.s.
As for change/evolution - I think the new album clearly shows this is occurring, and I love it.
I think all of their albums are strong, and I disagree with those who say their studio albums are a weak spot.
Yes, they are a superb live band, but they also craft excellent albums. If nothing more, their albums are at the very least, collections of excellent songs. I enjoy listening to the albums along with my collection of live shows, particularly to listen to the more quiet "ballad" type songs that are sometimes marred by noisy crowds on live recordings. Also the additional layers of instrumentation and perfect vocal harmonies make album incarnations of songs interesting. The new album does have more of a cohesive, thematic feel than prior albums, setting it apart.
Dr.GT

New postby DougD » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 pm

A music video? What--on MTV?? You guys must be smoking some really good #$%@, 'cause what you're saying is way, WAY out there.

First of all, the types of people who are going to like RRE's music don't watch MTV. Secondly, "Hangtown Ball" clocks in at 8+ minutes, far too long for a music video. Plus there's the little problem that it's got no hook...

IMO this album has very little commercial viability, but of all the songs on it "One More Night on the Road" is clearly the most accessible.
DougD

New postby Scott » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Chasin' a Rainbow, too.
Scott

New postby douger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi folks! I'm getting pretty antsy for the show tonight in Boston!!

Music videos and choreography and all that: the mere thought of taking Hangtown Ball (definitely too long as another has pointed out) and developing a storyline with members of the band walking around a graveyard would absolutely crush the musical integrity and personal images we all create in our own minds. People watch their favorite bands on YouTube of either fan concert footage or more professional studio/live settings and that's just fine. There is a Lonecroft Farewell video out there which is great. The band standing on a porch playing a song live.

Radio: hard for me to weigh in here since I stopped listening to the radio in about 8th grade. Isn't it all about Pandora and Spotify anyway at this point (and Sirius)?

Bluegrass Underground: I DVR this show and it's great - I've seen Old Crow Medicine Show, Stringdusters, Wood Brothers, and a bunch of lesser knowns. If they wanted to do this, it would be fun to watch for sure. I think I'll write in to that address provided earlier in the thread. Let's do it!

Late night TV: nothing would make us more proud than to see them on Fallon or Letterman. They deserve it and I hope it happens someday.
Put one foot in front of the other, steppin' into the here and now
douger

New postby thehitch » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:03 pm

I don't want to see any breakout to "the next level". This band has a growing following of solid fans and that is all they need. Who needs mainstream when you have the best grassroots base?
thehitch

New postby Sister Fennario » Mon May 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Insourcing. Insourcing. Insourcing. Insourcing as many of the management, production, technical, and creative aspects of keeping the train rolling down the track. If family doesn't want the job -- then we get by with a little help from our friends. It takes a village... to keep a band on the road.

And about that video -- i don't know if that Chasin' a Rainbow production FB page was a hoax or what. Child exploitation sure wouldn't have been high on my list of ways to promote the band. Guess i better be careful what i say. (I still think Monkey could be a funny video, by the way...) But videos in general are not really high on my list of "to do's" at all, I was just commenting that a successful video can make an overnight sensation-- but then usually the sensation is only that -- overnight. (Of course there are exceptions.)

On another note -- first time (since i got into 'em) that RRE will be close to home and I will not be seeing them. Bottlerock day passes are about $150 and for that price and the amount of time it would take to see a 90 minute set, i just can't swing it this time, but i'm not knocking it as far as the band is concerned. They will get paid well and a lot of people will get their first taste of RRE. It will just about kill me to know they're in Norcal and i'm not there. Oh well.
Sister Fennario

New postby DougD » Tue May 20, 2014 1:27 am

Insourcing?? I assume that's code for "hiring friends & family"? In a perfect world that makes sense, & it certainly dovetails nicely with the whole "Peace, Love, & Rock n Roll" thing. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world, & generally-speaking it is not a good idea to mix business with friends & family. Those times when it works out well it's great, but when it doesn't work out well (and more often than not it doesn't) it's hell & often ruins relationships. IMO that's a risk that's not worth taking.

On an entirely different topic--$150 for a single day ticket to Bottlerock?!? That's crazy! Hell, single day tickets to Jazz Fest in NOLA were only $55 advance / $70 at the gate. Just out of curiosity I went to the Bottlerock website and saw that they were offering $1,000 single day "Platinum" tickets. I understand the festival is in Napa Valley and all that, so presumably you'd get some great wine as part of your "Platinum" access, but still, sounds like a total money-grab to me.

If Bottlerock is not too far from your home & you don't mind rolling the dice, go to the festival & walk around the front gate with one finger in the air while holding a $50 bill in the same hand--works almost every time! At every concert / festival there are always a few people with extra tickets due to someone getting sick, someone who has to work, couldn't get a babysitter, etc.

Two weeks ago I saw Springsteen for free. Yes, FREE. I'm walking around, & there are a fair # of people (half scalpers, half fans who just had an extra) trying to sell tickets. I decide I'm willing to pay $100 if I can get a really good seat. This big guy comes up to me with an extra ticket, but it's up in the nosebleed section; I tell him thanks but I'm looking for a better seat, he just hands me the ticket & tells me "hope you find one but if you don't, enjoy the show on me!"

Two days later Santana was playing a (supposedly) sold-out show at the Hard Rock. Half hour before the show starts I'm outside with one finger in the air & a $50 bill in my hand. Guy comes up to me & asks me if I'm buying or selling --I tell him I'm looking to buy a ticket. He's there with his wife & a buddy whose girlfriend couldn't make it, so he's got one extra. The ticket is in section 107 (great seat) & has a face value of $125; I ask him how much he wants & he says "How about $40?"

Santana started promptly at 8pm & walked off the stage at exactly 10PM. Bruce played for 3 1/2 hours (no set break), played several song requests, pulled a middle age woman up on stage to dance with him, body surfed & walked out into the audience several different times, told lots of stories, and seemingly gave it his all. But of course he does this at all his shows...he absolutely owns the stage. His duet with Tom Morello on "Ghost of Tom Joad" was simply stunning.
DougD

New postby DougD » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:35 pm

DougD

Previous

Return to RRE discussion