Let's see if we can get this running again

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

Let's see if we can get this running again

New postby Scott » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Now that the wheels have been greased again, let's see what we can get going over here for discussion. I know some folks prefer boards - I do, for one - but with the all-in nature of Facebook, it's hard to tell if folks will be willing to come over here that often. I mean, register?? Why the hell would I do that?

Most forums outside of a select few are more or less dead these days - I hope this one can come back from the abyss. The band seems to be embracing it, since it's now running piggy back on .com, and they link to it directly.

Here's the growth!
Scott

Re: Let's see if we can get this running again

New postby DougD » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Admittedly I'm a techno-idiot, but just wondering: I've seen other social sites where you could log in to a site somehow via your Facebook ID / log in info--any reason why you couldn't somehow incorporate that into this site?

Or I've been on sites where--although you don't have to register to post--you do have to enter your email address in order to write a post (but it stays hidden); I think this is the way that the jambase forums work.

Or if you really think that the registration process is the problem, perhaps you could just require user authentication via a CAPTCHA?

Regardless, good luck!
DougD

New postby railroadbill » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Glad to see it back, and hope it will thrive.
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

New postby DougD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Since someone in charge of RRE.com decided to provide a link to this site, I wonder why they did not also provide a link to hobocompanion.org?

It would seem like a logical thing to do, no?
DougD

New postby Scott » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:56 pm

The band owns this site; they don't own hobocompanion.
Scott

New postby Sister Fennario » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 am

I am hoping that with encouragement folks who are interested will take the time to re-post or cross-post from FB, Earthboard and other relevant sites for the sake of continuity in conversation.

I also hope that the band has hired some kind of press clipping agency (or whatever they call them now, since there's much more media available now than just print press, obviously) to track/document their history.

Consolidation/tracking of documentation on the band is what seems important to me. Shows they take themselves seriously as a business enterprise. We know they take themselves seriously as artists and that's huge -- little enough (monetary) reward for that but there's this DAY JOB aspect as well that needs to keep rolling down the track so we can... keep on dancing.

And many thanks to whoever took it on to link this site from the RRE band site. (Scott?) Anyway, I'm glad it's back.
Sister Fennario

New postby DougD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:10 pm

"The band owns this site; they don't own hobocompanion."

Not trying to be argumentative, but they don't own Facebook or Twitter, either, yet they have links to the RRE-related pages on those sites. I don't imagine whomever owns hobocompanion (Grubb I assume) would be against them providing a link, in fact one would think he'd be all for it.

I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't really care one way or another, I was just pointing out something I found curious.
DougD

New postby DougD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:11 pm

railroadbill wrote:Glad to see it back, and hope it will thrive.

Agreed, but got a feeling we're swimming against a strong tide on this one...
DougD

New postby wannabehobo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:23 pm

"Not trying to be argumentative, but they don't own Facebook or Twitter,"

Want to comment on the statement above.

They might not own the platform, but they definitely own the profile. Social media profiles can hold great value both monetary and for promotion. Control of Twitter handles has been known to sell for tens of thousands of dollars. Not saying the band is looking to cash in on the sale of a profile, but just that they do hold value for the owner.

I doubt RRE views Hobo Companion as any value to them, and that's why there isn't a link (or it could just be an oversight.) Either way, this is probably a mistake. Widespread Panic was instrumental in the development of Everyday Companion (provided show dates and setlists to Ted Rockwell.)

No doubt that developing this knowledge base has encouraged Panic fan loyalty. I always love the ability to learn more about the history of songs I like. Even though I'm just getting deep into RRE catalog, I have definitely used Hobocompanion as a resource to learn more.

I'm very grateful a resource like that exists for RRE. It's a huge job as far as management and expense. Big thanks to who ever is behind it.
wannabehobo

New postby Sister Fennario » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:18 am

i agree with you wannabe. it's the consolidation/tracking of all band related media piece. taking the business part of it seriously. making it easy for fans to find information about the band that is generally available. once the information is out there, fans take it on their own ride, and the band's story ripples forth from a deeper pool... and comes up smiling : )))
Sister Fennario

New postby Scott » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:49 pm

The band may only be peripherally aware, to be honest. Easy enough to get it in front of them.

Brian, you lurking?
Scott

New postby wannabehobo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 pm

Sister Fennario wrote: once the information is out there, fans take it on their own ride, and the band's story ripples forth from a deeper pool... and comes up smiling : )))

Absolutely, Sister! Love the way you said this :D

Scott wrote:The band may only be peripherally aware, to be honest. Easy enough to get it in front of them.

Brian, you lurking?

Good point Scott. With a hectic touring schedule and all the time that went into the new album, it can be tough to stay on top of online activity.
wannabehobo

New postby Scott » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:14 pm

To be fair, they were done with the album early last year. Business things probably took a lot of time.
Scott

Return to RRE discussion