Last of the Outlaws

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

Last of the Outlaws

New postby Sister Fennario » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 pm

OK, i asked for it and it's back! YAY! thank you. Now let the discussions about this amazing new music begin.

All I will say for now is that All That's Dead > In Paradisum is thrilling. Absolutely thrilling. So many layers. Can't wait to hear them live.
Sister Fennario

Re: Last of the Outlaws

New postby Sister Fennario » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 am

i can now comment on my own discussion! well, so, first impressions first:

Man with a Hole in his Face, if i'm to understand the labeling correctly, sounds like a stolen face to me. and the deed has been done. Face is stolen, face is gone, what a piece of work. and what about them horns? is andy really playing them all? and the keys.. the keys, the keys, the keys to the kingdom. they all fits together so perfectly. sounding hornsby-esque -- if for only that the notes flow so effortlessly, seamlessly into the mix, fluidly. and the crackly bit of old-timey-ness at the end. i just love it all. a reflection of what's gone down before as well as creation of something entirely new.

the rock-opera feel of it as well as the 3-step, waltzy in the beginning. i'm talking about The suite. just so perfect. down to the collage of old black and whites that adorn the cover (does each shot correspond to a tune? just wondering...)
Sister Fennario

New postby Scott » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Total prog-rock in its conception. Think Yes, Genesis, etc, for their long epics with multiple movements. Skehan's a progger from way back - lots of Tull, for one thing, and I know that influenced this to some extent. Ditto Terrapin, which is also a prog-rock masterpiece, even if the Dead were never thought of as prog. ;)
Scott

New postby mitchgilbert » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm

The All That's Dead/Face With A Hole suite is totally prog. The jams with the piano remind me more of Renaissance (I know I said this on the EB) than Yes or Genesis. That interview with Tim that was just posted (awful interview, btw - that interviewer was an idiot), Timmy mentioned Close to the Edge.

Anyway - this album is an album in the true sense of the word. I haven't heard a Railroad Earth album that flowed from one song to the next like LOTO. It gives me, as the listener, the sense of a journey with a definite start running after a rainbow with lots of great scenery on the way. I'm stopping for a hike on a mountain, passing through the depths of death, and coming out on the other side with sun in my blood, preparing for home with one more night on the road, and then saying goodnight and taking a bow.

Another thing Timmy talked about was the title track. I put "Into the Wild" on my Netflix streaming queue to watch when I get a chance.

What a great album.

Mitch
mitchgilbert

New postby Sister Fennario » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:03 pm

This comment kind of ties into another conversation as well, but isn't there a difference between "critically acclaimed" and "popularly acclaimed?" Not sure, as outstanding as it is, if LotO will ever be a best seller, though i think it's on its way to becoming critically acclaimed if it isn't already. I truly think it is a masterpiece, but as with art in general -- it's something the artists put out there and the public can take it or leave it -- there it is. It was in them so it had to come out and I'm glad that it did, but they're still making their bread and butter by performing live -- which is art too, but in a different way.

The mass appeal of Railroad Earth is in the live experience -- once that happens, it awakens in the individual a curiosity and passion to learn more about the music and more about her/himself and find one's own creativity. That's the power of art. With RRE the music is at the core, for sure, along with the mastery of all the musicians that comprise the band, and it's the ripples that spread from that, that has the most power to pull in new fans, is the way it seems to me.
Sister Fennario

New postby Dr.GT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:45 pm

The album is great. Can't wait to see them in Philly this weekend. Can anyone clarify something regarding track names? On the CD insert where writing credits are listed it says "Requiem Aeternam" is written by Skehan, however this song does not appear on the track list. "Introit" is listed on the track list but does not appear with the writing credits. Is "Requiem Aeternam" another name for "Introit"?
I also am excited about the new ground forged on this album. I hope they are encouraged to explore further in incorporating elements of prog and jazz, as the possibilities seem endless given the immense talent of these guys.
Dr.GT

New postby Sister Fennario » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

Dr GT -- WOW, you got your show in Philly, that first set Sat sounds amazing. I hope I get to hear the whole movement live <<<all that's dead----paradisum>>>

last of the outlaws is a masterpiece. i can't believe i wrote that it wouldn't be a best seller. I wish i could take that back -- it's not that it doesn't deserve to be -- over the top, more so, it ranks up there with so many classic albums from the late '60's and '70's (band, beatles, dylan etc) but people don't BUY albums anymore. it's so sad. another example of how (free music on) the internet makes it very hard for artists to earn their bread and butter. but i'm not going to go on that tirade again.

i only meant that last of the outlaws shines all the more BECAUSE they pour their souls into it in spite of the fact that no one buys CD's anymore. it really is their pinnacle of artistic achievement so far, in my opinion.

i have whole lot to say about each song, actually, but just won't have the opportunity to give it the time and focus it deserves for another week or two.
Sister Fennario

New postby Sister Fennario » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:00 am

OK, here's my album review, briefly:

chasing a rainbow= touch of grey
last of the outlaws = days between
grandfather mountain= wheel
all that's dead >> suite = terrapin suite
one more night on the road = one more sat night (feels like a party song more than a 'throw another log on the fire' song)

now obviously these are only rough equivalents -- as seen and heard by one who has still seen far more Grateful Dead shows that Railroad Earth shows.

i know that's all kind of reductive, but from my Grateful Dead aural frame of reference, that's just the way it feels to me. also, the all that's dead suite also has that all-new-never-been-heard-before feel to it that i really crave in the never ending search for new music (searching for the sound). it carves out new neural pathways and lays the path for new ways of thinking and being too. so HO!

i really love all the horns and brass on this album, as well as the old photos that checker the cover. kind of like the checkered past of.....well, of all that's dead. and some that's still alive too.

it will be interesting to see how these tracks are embedded into set lists with the passage of time. i loved hearing the opus/suite at the fillmore, rock opera-like. would be great to get Karl D and Chris L to back-up Andy on some of the horn sections live, if they ever happen to be at the same festival this summer, or are on jam cruise together or something like that.

and at any rate, Last of the Outlaws is a fine continuation in the tradition of American rock and roll that remembers our roots without sentimentality or nostalgia and forges bravely forward into realms of the unknown.

So, YO, keepin the train rollin down the tracks.....
Sister Fennario

New postby DougD » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm not a fan of the album (big disappointment based upon own personal musical taste & what I was hoping for) but thought this was one of the better articles written about the band & the album:

http://www.railroadearth.com/files/relix-jun2014.pdf
DougD

Return to RRE discussion