The Hobo's Companion: Collaborative Guide Through RRE

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

The Hobo's Companion: Collaborative Guide Through RRE

New postby tr3solo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 pm

There's been an overwhelming show of support for the The Hobo's Companion project. People are signing up and adding info left and right. Just got off the phone with fellow hobo, Bob C., who has a Database constructed and ready to be loaded as well a Hosting company with domain names.

WHAT IS MOST SOUGHT AFTER RIGHT NOW IS SOMEONE WITH WEB PAGE PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE. Don't miss out on this opportunity to give back. Thanks for all the help so far! We all should be proud to be a part of this community.
"Mama sang a song of love I've carried all my days" -Todd Sheaffer
tr3solo

Re: The Hobo's Companion: Collaborative Guide Through RRE

New postby Gus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

WHAT IS MOST SOUGHT AFTER RIGHT NOW IS SOMEONE WITH WEB PAGE PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE. Don't miss out on this opportunity to give back. Thanks for all the help so far! We all should be proud to be a part of this community.

Hmmmmmm wasn't there a certain forum moderator/upright bass player that delved into the world of CMS based web programming? :mrgreen:
Gus

New postby jgrubb » Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm

In case anybody sees this who doesn't know, the Hobo Companion evolves here - http://www.hobocompanion.org/
Grubb
jgrubb
Site Admin

New postby DougD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Speaking of evolution, a few suggestions:

1) When you click on the "Songs" button, the titles of all the songs are in a blue font. However, when you click on a particular song (to read the lyrics or whatever) and then go back to the song list, the font color of the song you were just looking at changes to purple. That's fine. But when you exit/close hobocompanion.org and a few days later go back to the site, the font color of all the songs you previously looked at remains purple. Not sure what the reasoning is for this, & personally I think the song list should revert back to all one color each time a user logs on to or enters the site.

2) There's a fair amount of "cover songs" in this list, some of which are not well-known, so I think it would be a good idea to somehow identify the person or band who wrote each song. Perhaps Sheaffer originals could be in blue font but songs written by others could be in a different color font? Or when a user clicks on a particular song title, in addition to the lyrics it would read "Lyrics & music by Todd Sheaffer" or (in the case of certain Grateful Dead covers) "Lyrics by Robert Hunter, Music by (or "Composed by") Jerry Garcia"

just my $0.02.
DougD

New postby jgrubb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:32 am

DougD wrote:Speaking of evolution, a few suggestions:

1) When you click on the "Songs" button, the titles of all the songs are in a blue font. However, when you click on a particular song (to read the lyrics or whatever) and then go back to the song list, the font color of the song you were just looking at changes to purple. That's fine. But when you exit/close hobocompanion.org and a few days later go back to the site, the font color of all the songs you previously looked at remains purple. Not sure what the reasoning is for this, & personally I think the song list should revert back to all one color each time a user logs on to or enters the site.

2) There's a fair amount of "cover songs" in this list, some of which are not well-known, so I think it would be a good idea to somehow identify the person or band who wrote each song. Perhaps Sheaffer originals could be in blue font but songs written by others could be in a different color font? Or when a user clicks on a particular song title, in addition to the lyrics it would read "Lyrics & music by Todd Sheaffer" or (in the case of certain Grateful Dead covers) "Lyrics by Robert Hunter, Music by (or "Composed by") Jerry Garcia"

just my $0.02.

Hey Doug, don't come around often, so I just got this and your DM. As regards #1, that's a browser thing that's keyed off of your stored browser history. The point is that "visited" links turn purple so that you know where you've been. It's kind of all or nothing so, I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna change that one.

#2, totally agree and that's one of the many things on the list. I got a burnt after the initial spring on that thing, but since RRE's not going anywhere any time soon, hopefully we'll be able to evolve the site appropriately. Thanks for giving a sh!t, btw.
Grubb
jgrubb
Site Admin

New postby Barbara » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 am

Song listed as "Before I Go" is actually "When I Go" by Dave Carter. It was played 7/25/03 at Falcon Ridge. There's a show listed on 7/26 at Falcon Ridge, they were not on the schedule that day. It's possible that some of the band did a workshop, but I don't think so.

Come, lonely hunter, chieftain and king
I will fly like the falcon when I go
Bear me my brother under your wing
I will strike fell like lightning when I go

I will bellow like the thunder drum, invoke the storm of war
A twisting pillar spun of dust and blood up from the prairie floor
I will sweep the foe before me like a gale out on the snow
And the wind will long recount the story, reverence and glory, when I go

Spring, spirit dancer, nimble and thin
I will leap like coyote when I go
Tireless entrancer, lend me your skin
I will run like the gray wolf when I go

I will climb the rise at daybreak, I will kiss the sky at noon
Raise my yearning voice at midnight to my mother in the moon
I will make the lay of long defeat and draw the chorus slow
I'll send this message down the wire and hope that someone wise is listening when I go

And when the sun comes, trumpets from his red house in the east
He will find a standing stone where long I chanted my release
He will send his morning messenger to strike the hammer blow
And I will crumble down uncountable in showers of crimson rubies when I go

Sigh, mournful sister, whisper and turn
I will rattle like dry leaves when I go
Stand in the mist where my fire used to burn
I will camp on the night breeze when I go

And should you glimpse my wandering form out on the borderline
Between death and resurrection and the council of the pines
Do not worry for my comfort, do not sorrow for me so
All your diamond tears will rise up and adorn the sky beside me when I go