Mighty High

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

Re: Mighty High

New postby ChristianH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 pm

DougD wrote:
ChristianH wrote:I used to be a massive Umphrey's McGee fan, listened to every show the night after if I could get my hands on it.

Thanks again for the 04 rec, very much looking forward to giving it a spin tonight.

You're welcome & I hope you like it even half as much as I do!

So, since we all agree I need to broaden my horizons & listen to a little less RRE, how about a little quid pro quo? I've listened to very little UM & only seen them once (in 2011 or 12, evidently missed their "glory days"), so how about recommending two or three "must listen to" Umphrey's McGee shows?

However, don't be disappointed if I just don't "get it"! People have recommended dozens of Phish shows to me over the years & I never have understood what their appeal is . . . I'm thinking the simple solution is I just need to do more drugs?? Same for moe., Disco Biscuits, etc.. Simply not my cup of tea.

But you love RRE & thus obviously you have exquisite taste in music ;-) so perhaps I just haven't been turned on to the right UM shows yet!

Don't worry about moe. or the Disco Biscuits. The latter is awful, and the former is simply too inconsistent to pay too much attention to. As for Phish, man I HATE to hear that. That is my absolute favorite, and keep in mind, I have never done a psychedelic or party drug in my life. Some beers, a little green, and the music keep me plenty satiated. In fact, I actually prefer to be sober while listening to Phish. I feel like I'd miss way too much since their music is so complex. However, I absolutely love jazz fusion, so that is a major contributor to the appeal of Phish to me. All the zaniness is just an extra perk. No one makes me smile like Phish. RRE, the Dead, Miles Davis, and Zappa come pretty damn close, and UM used to, but not quite. As for UM, this is a great one: http://archive.org/details/um2005-12-30.umlive.flac16. Superb show which is also professionally taped and mastered, and available for free. It's also well before the metrosexual phase, so no worries there.
ChristianH

New postby railroadbill » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 pm

ChristianH wrote:Excellent! Where is this Earthboard?

It's a Railroad Earth Forum at Yahoo Groups.

http://launch.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/earthboard/
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

New postby tr3solo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm

ChristianH wrote: As for UM, this is a great one: http://archive.org/details/um2005-12-30.umlive.flac16.
I've had my blinders on evidently. "Women, Wine, & Song" is a really good song.
"Mama sang a song of love I've carried all my days" -Todd Sheaffer
tr3solo

New postby Sister Fennario » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:44 am

Funny that Umphrey’s comes up in this conversation, as i just got to see my first UM show at the Fox in Oakland this past Sat night, and i thought they ROCKED. (I’ve seen parts of sets a few times in the festival setting and enjoyed plenty but was not gripped.) Of course it didn’t hurt to be hosted by one of their old college buddies, so viewing from reserved section right next to the sound board made for maximum listening and dancing pleasure. Second set I squirreled up front and got my total rock and roll freak dance groove on and absolutely loved it. (UM fans are chill and easy-going, i found, at least in bay area, and i’ve been touched by their family vibe, and how fans and band really care for each other -- not unlike RRE) The light show is over the top and i can see why people love them. I used to get that from Phish, but they got so big there’s no way to have that kind of intimate experience with them now. (Back in the day, before the hiatus at the end of 2000, we used to get the red carpet treatment when they came to town, compliments of a woman i went to grad school with who ended up their office manager at the time.)

So i’ve just been touched by UM, still loving RRE, of course...but just had this inspiration....wouldn’t it be great to have two nights at Red Rocks with Ump and RRE each playing both nights, taking turns headlining. That is my rock and roll fantasy. I’m captivated by the Led Zep connection too. (Umph did a Zep cover, hey hey, what can i do, i’ve got a woman....) What I really love is when RRE goes out into the stratosphere of the rock and roll cosmos and carves out new spaces (should i say excavate?), completely undiscovered territory. That’s what I enjoyed about the Umph show (only I don’t know their repetoire nearly well enough to know what’s really new and what’s just new to me. And I like my rock. I love my roll. I love it when RRE goes into that space and I would love, just love, to see/hear them do Kashmir or something like that, just blowing the roof off the joint. (Like Boris the Spider at Hangtown, I adored that.) And the weird, I like my weird too. Haven’t really found the weird yet, since the Grateful Dead. I mean there’s weird, but sometimes a little (or a lot!) scary weird. With GD, the container was already broad enough to take pretty weird without the dark overtones overpowering the light -- on most nights that is. (We’ve all had our dark weird from that GD too, on the weird night.)

But getting back to RRE now, I was just cruising around the UM website and man, they have that thing dialed in! They are even offering (as part of an experiment) a limited number of free tickets to tapers who make a reasonable effort to distribute their recordings for free. (Watch for my ode to the dying art of taping in a post elswhere. Long live tapers!) It would be great to see RRE and/or fans come up with something like that. (and i must say, i am more aesthetically inclined toward the emerging RRE iconography, but that’s a romantic thing -- i just gravitate toward beauty, natural imagery more than the in-your-face and harsher lines/contrasts of some of the industrial, post-modern UM designs) Now is the time, on the eve of their Red Rocks headlining. Bring it guys, let’s amp it up. Everyone, sing, all together now (all together now....)
Sister Fennario

New postby DougD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm

tr3solo wrote:Doug, I love you brother but I think you do need a short listening break, just postpone that til spring/summer because they are playing exceptionally great right now! I will agree with you that there was a different energy going on in the earlier years. Things seemed a bit more pure and inspired and there was that upredictability we associate with it because it was still new. They were still finding their way. Even Todd's voice reflected those elements. It was great, I love it, some of the best! But THE zenith? I have to disagree.

I really enjoy witnessing the continued evolution of the sound. More recent years are filled with a broader, more interesting soundscape, and although calculated, a sense of refined professionalism that blows my mind. They are covering new territory here and still keeping to something uniquely their own. When that ceases to exist the zenith will have been reached. The setlist, imo, have been rather interesting lately..

Sorry it's taken me 'till now to reply, but I've been working and traveling a lot the last few weeks & simply haven't made time. Suffice it to say that I agree w/ nearly everything you wrote, especially about me needing "a short listening break", & that's exactly what I'm gonna' do. Almost since the shows were announced I assumed I would fly out for the Fillmore shows, but I've decided to go to Jazz Fest next month instead. As for Red Rocks, who knows?

Only thing I don't agree with is your comment "The selist have been rather interesting lately." There may have been one or two exceptions this year, but for most part all they seem to be doing in terms of creating unusual set list is playing songs in different order, i.e., playing what would normally be thought of as a "second set song" in the first set, opening up with an unusual song, maybe some unusual pairings, etc.. IMO that's not overly exciting or challenging & doesn't make me think to myself "Damn, I can't believe I missed that! I should have been there!!" Hopefully they'll go for it in San Francisco though & make me regret my decision. God knows they should--the west coast crowd is pretty tough to impress...

By the way, I didn't even realize it was possible to edit one's own post until I realized that you changed/edited your original post in reply to mine. Don't know why you did that or what you didn't like about what you wrote, 'cause I gotta' tell you, I thought your initial post was incredibly well-written and extremely eloquent. I know from the Sweetwater run we did together that you're a helluva story-teller, but it's nice to learn that you're an equally good writer. Keep it up!
DougD

New postby tr3solo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 pm

DougD wrote:
tr3solo wrote:Doug, I love you brother but I think you do need a short listening break, just postpone that til spring/summer because they are playing exceptionally great right now! I will agree with you that there was a different energy going on in the earlier years. Things seemed a bit more pure and inspired and there was that upredictability we associate with it because it was still new. They were still finding their way. Even Todd's voice reflected those elements. It was great, I love it, some of the best! But THE zenith? I have to disagree.

I really enjoy witnessing the continued evolution of the sound. More recent years are filled with a broader, more interesting soundscape, and although calculated, a sense of refined professionalism that blows my mind. They are covering new territory here and still keeping to something uniquely their own. When that ceases to exist the zenith will have been reached. The setlist, imo, have been rather interesting lately..

Sorry it's taken me 'till now to reply, but I've been working and traveling a lot the last few weeks & simply haven't made time. Suffice it to say that I agree w/ nearly everything you wrote, especially about me needing "a short listening break", & that's exactly what I'm gonna' do. Almost since the shows were announced I assumed I would fly out for the Fillmore shows, but I've decided to go to Jazz Fest next month instead. As for Red Rocks, who knows?

Only thing I don't agree with is your comment "The selist have been rather interesting lately." There may have been one or two exceptions this year, but for most part all they seem to be doing in terms of creating unusual set list is playing songs in different order, i.e., playing what would normally be thought of as a "second set song" in the first set, opening up with an unusual song, maybe some unusual pairings, etc.. IMO that's not overly exciting or challenging & doesn't make me think to myself "Damn, I can't believe I missed that! I should have been there!!" Hopefully they'll go for it in San Francisco though & make me regret my decision. God knows they should--the west coast crowd is pretty tough to impress...

By the way, I didn't even realize it was possible to edit one's own post until I realized that you changed/edited your original post in reply to mine. Don't know why you did that or what you didn't like about what you wrote, 'cause I gotta' tell you, I thought your initial post was incredibly well-written and extremely eloquent. I know from the Sweetwater run we did together that you're a helluva story-teller, but it's nice to learn that you're an equally good writer. Keep it up!
Didn't know you could see the edit! I don't remember what I took out but I do remember thinking it could have came off as argumentative. I know music is subjective but you know a hell of a lot more about it than me and maybe I didn't want to bark too loud up your tree! :D Coming from someone's writings I enjoy reading I'll take that as a compliment. I can't do Red Rocks, there's too much going on that month for me. Both parents birthdays and a family reunion within the first too weeks of July. I'm going to do New Years this time. Never been... (shame on me)
"Mama sang a song of love I've carried all my days" -Todd Sheaffer
tr3solo

Previous

Return to RRE discussion