SweetWater Brewery Tour Show Reviews

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

SweetWater Brewery Tour Show Reviews

New postby DougD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:56 am

Please keep in mind that all concert reviews are subjective; for every person that says "that show sucked" you can almost always find five others who thought the show was amazing. The point is, take anything I say with a grain of salt.

RALEIGH:
It was a cool venue (in that it was small & fairly intimate) but to me there didn't seem to be an abundance of energy either in the crowd or on stage. Overall I would have to say I was underwhelmed. I'm not suggesting it was a bad show (is there such a thing as a bad RRE show?) just saying that it was nothing to write home about, i.e., IMHO it was just another standard well-played show. I'm sure a lot of people thought it was great, but hardcore fans didn't miss much. "Hunting Song" was good.

CHARLOTTE:
Charlotte was a significantly better show. Nice venue & lots of room to dance. Both the crowd AND the band seemed to be more engaged, plus (from my perspective) it was a much more interesting set list. "Black Elk Speaks" & " Seven Story Mountain" (1st set) always satisfy, but it was the 2nd set where the band really got cookin'. "Goat" was the absolute highlight, into "Mountain Time" (one of my personal favorites) and then the crowd favorites "Mississipi 1/2 Step" & "Long Way to Go". It's funny--back in the day Mississipi 1/2 Step was considered (by many) to be the perfect time to run to the bathroom or grab a beer, but when RRE plays it it's the highlight of the show for many. I can only imagine what the crowd reaction would sound like if they would would play Terrapin again or some other classic Dead song (or Dylan or The Band for that matter). I'm guessing people would go nuckin' futs.

The encore "Everything Comes Together" was (for me anyway) somewhat anticlimactic. It was obvious that the crowd wanted & expected a 2nd encore, but unfortunately it didn't happen, as the band quickly left the stage & the piped-in music signaling the end of the show began.

Overall Charlotte was a good solid show, but I'm really hoping they let loose & go for broke in Chucktown!
DougD

Re: SweetWater Brewery Tour Show Reviews

New postby DougD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:25 am

CHARLESTON:
First of all, Charleston is simply a great city. It reminds me a lot of New Orleans--great food, lots of history & culture--& hot as hell. I don't even wanna' know what this place feels like in July & August.

I don't know this for a fact, but I think Charleston brought the love & sold this show out. Regardless, the place was packed, though not uncomfortably so. I had room to dance anyway, so I was happy. Props to The Music Farm for offering free self-service cold water. All bars & clubs should do this.

God bless the boys, they really brought their A-game to Chucktown. Right out of the gate they started jammin' somethin' psychedelic. I have not idea what it was they played but I liked it! Both Reuben's Train & SMB were good, Storms & For Love were very good, and Standing On The Corner was stellar. OK, maybe stellar is a little too strong, but I love that song. I thought Mourning Flies was also very good.

Full disclosure: I did a bit of drinkin' at this show, so my memory is a little hazy on the details of the second set. I can say with absolute certainty, however, that I had one hell of a good time! Good God do they grow the girls pretty down here in Charleston! They must be puttin' something in the water 'cause there are some fine lookin' women in this town. Other than that, I can't remember too many details about the second set, so suffice it to say I'm really looking forward to hearing it again on Archive. I will say this though--it seemed to me that the band tried a little harder & gave a little more than they sometimes do, & it really showed. Or maybe that's just the double Jack & Coke's talkin'... Either way it was a helluva' show. And although I'm sure a lot of you hardcore hobos are tired of hearing Hard Livin', they killed it last night & the crowd absolutely ate it up. Usually there's no one who wants a second encore more than me, but in all honesty I think most of us were physically spent after Hard Livin' & one encore was enough on this night.

It'll be interesting to see what & how they play in J'ville. I think Todd caught a flight & played a show up north, so physically he might be spent. There are about a dozen hobos doing the entire SweetWater run, however, & hopes are high that the band can keep the energy up, the set list diverse, & close this little mini tour with a bang. Plus us Florida hobos don't get to see the band too much,so there's that to consider. Word on the street is people are hoping for a Hobo Song, Said What You Mean, and maybe even a Let It Rock. I could add a good dozen other songs to that list, but I won't. Wait a minute,..what am I saying?? Of course I will!

They haven't yet played Head, Warhead Boogie, Genesis, Congoman Chant, Waggin' the Dog, New Lee Highway Blues, Walls of Time, much less The Breeze, Harvest Moon, Catfish John, All Things Must Pass, or Masterpiece!
Two encores sure would be nice way to end the tour, too. Just a thought... Plus that would teach people why they shouldn't miss a show!
DougD

New postby DougD » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:29 pm

One correction and a mea culpa:

They played Head the 1st night in Raleigh.

Also, I should have mentioned that the sound & lights have been spot on at every venue, so big ups to the crew. If they don't do their job well It doesn't really matter what songs are played or how well the band plays them....
DougD

New postby DougD » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Let me reiterate that reviews are completely subjective, & it is not unusual for a person's experience to be influenced by external factors & stimuli unrelated to that which is being reviewed.

JACKSONVILLE:
I'm a second generation Floridian & I went to high school in Jacksonville, so I'm allowed to say this: Jacksonville sucks, & the Freebird Live sucks balls. It was without a doubt the worst venue of the tour, & I sincerely hope RRE never plays there again.

Can the owners not afford to air-condition the place, or do they simply not give a shit?? I will admit that upstairs was much cooler (& the upstairs balcony is a nice place to hangout between sets) but in front of the stage it felt like 95 degrees & 95 humidity. I can only imagine what it felt like on stage underneath the lights. A couple of well-placed fans wouldn't cost much & would at least move the air around a bit! I could mention several other negatives about Freebird Live, but I'll stick to my primary complaint, which is its' employees.

Whomever owns that place needs to clean house--fire almost everyone & get a completely new staff. It took FOREVER to get a drink, & the bartenders made you feel like they were doing you a favor by serving you. One guy I know (very nice guy who did the entire tour by the way) waited in line very patiently (for two whole songs!) before he was finally able to belly up to the bar. Just as he did, some tatted-out redneck weaseled his way pass everyone else, and the bartender took his order while visibly ignoring my friend. My friend was understandably irritated & said something to the effect of "WTF, man, I'm been standing in line for 10 minutes! Can I get SweetWater 420?". The bartender postures up to my friend, gives him the bird sign while simultaneously giving him the F-you sign, and loudly exclaims "FUCK YOU MAN! YOU GET SERVED LAST!" James & I just looked at each other in amazement--who treats customers like that?? The employees at the Freebird Live, that's who!! So we walked downstairs (sans drinks), tried to forget about how poorly we'd been treated and instead returned to the music sauna.

Then this whigged-out moron staggers his way through the middle of the dance floor, bouncing off people & waving a friggin' stick in the air. I'm not sure if he threw the stick on stage or Carbone simply grabbed it out of his hand, but somehow it ended up on stage & Carbone snapped it in half. Finally a friendly hobo took the guy by the hand & led him off the dance floor...fortunately I didn't see him again.

The rest of the show was good, but due to the above & more I can't objectively review this show, so I'm waiting for one of the tapers to post this show on archive so I can give it a re-listen. The set-list certainly reads like a good show, and you've got to give the band credit, they only played one repeat over four shows. Nicely done!
DougD

New postby railroadbill » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Mental note to self: Self, Freebird Live sounds like a venue best avoided.

It is a shame that such rudeness can insinuate itself into the scene. Of course with a name like "Freebird", rednecks would be a given. Hope the show lives up to its potential on tape, where in the comfort of your own home you will be free of the douchebaggery you experienced at the show.
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

New postby railroadbill » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:44 pm

you should rest now
railroadbill

New postby railroadbill » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 pm

you should rest now
railroadbill

Videos of the SweetWater Brewery Tour Show Reviews

New postby El Ron » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:06 am

Videos of Railroad Earth from the 2012 SweetWater Brewing Company concert series tour that benefited the WaterKeeper Alliance project. The boys threw down some special shows on this run. Enjoy Raleigh.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2A12A90FB870060F
El Ron

http://www.elron.tumblr.com
RRE TCB 2011
El Ron

Videos of the SweetWater Brewery Tour Show Reviews

New postby El Ron » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:11 am

Videos of Railroad Earth from the 2012 SweetWater Brewing Company concert series tour that benefited the WaterKeeper Alliance project. The boys threw down some special shows on this run. Enjoy Charleston.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB5A5003071F12825
El Ron

RRE TCB 2011
El Ron

New postby El Ron » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:21 am

Videos of Railroad Earth from the 2012 SweetWater Brewing Company concert series tour that benefited the WaterKeeper Alliance project. The boys threw down some special shows on this run. Enjoy Jacksonville.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL41012CC0AE543E14
El Ron

RRE TCB 2011
El Ron

New postby DougD » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am

There's not much in this world I'm absolutely certain about, but I feel confident saying this: I will NEVER be hired by Rolling Stone to write concert reviews...

I've listened to all the SweetWater shows on archive.

Clearly Raleigh was not "underwhelming".

Too bad I allowed myself to be so swayed by the bad vibes I was picking up in J'ville, 'cause I missed some good tunes.

But I was right about one thing--they killed in Charleston & the crowd loved them.
DougD

Return to RRE discussion