Poll: Which festival or show would you choose?

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

Poll: Which festival or show would you choose?

New postby DougD » Tue May 22, 2012 1:33 pm

If you could only attend two RRE shows or festivals this year, which two would you choose?

Don't take into consideration distance, cost, other bands playing at the festival, or the locations where the festival/show is taking place. Sure, Red Rocks probably trumps most other venues, & dancing on a beach in Mexico while listening to RRE play is surely alluring. Or if other bands you really like are playing at the same festival as RRE, then that would likely be the deciding factor for you.

But for purposes of this discussion, assume your sole goal is to choose the two shows or festivals where you think you're likely to see the two best RRE shows of the year. Obviously there's no way to know for sure, but if you had to make a Vegas-style bet, where would you guess they'll play the best shows?

There are lots of great festivals on the calender, but I assume they'll be constrained by time restrictions at most festivals. Then again, maybe they'll feel extra inspiration / feelings of competition playing alongside other really good bands which will motivate them to play an especially good show?

Red Rocks must be a magical place to play, & likely a larger than normal crowd, so maybe they'll feel some extra energy & go all-out there. Then again, it's a double-bill, so maybe it will be a shorter than normal show?

The Halloween shows? Strings & Sol? Their own festival (Music on the Mountaintop)? So hard to choose!

If you're only goal is to attend the two best RRE shows of 2012, and you can only go to two festivals or shows, which two would you choose?
DougD

Re: Poll: Which festival or show would you choose?

New postby railroadbill » Tue May 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Floydfest would be my first choice. RRE seems to "leave it all on the stage" at Floyd Sadly, it looks as if they will be MIA at Floydfest this year.

Music on the Mountaintop would likely become my Floyd replacement show. Since "taking over" the festival, I expect RRE will turn it out.

Red Rocks comes to mind, but that doesn't really fot tyour criteria. It is the venue, as much as RRE that brings it to mind.

The Halloween run always looks like a good time, but I kinda feel like Sgt. Roger Murtaugh when it comes to those big party scenes. That being said, I guess my second choice would be the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh, NC.
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

New postby Gus » Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 am

Uh - how about - TOMORROW NIGHT at Delfest! They get a closing set on the mainstage tomorrow night (10pm - midnight) and then a late-night show that will go until 3:30am or so on Friday night. How can you top that - and you know there will be tons of people jamming with them on stage as usual - ronnie mccoury among others.

I've gotten to hang out with several of them over the past 4 Delfests - Last year I was talking to John about the evoloution of musical genre's (5a.m. or so - he was grabbing bottles of Lagunitas maximus IPA out of their tour bus for me and my wife and we were having a good ol' time talking about all types of music) and told him how much I liked the delay effect he uses on the intro of 1759. The next day they ended up playing it early in their mainstage set...an excellent, supercharged version as well. It was kinda neat to have him take a request and then play it the next day!

http://archive.org/details/railroadeart ... ant.flac16

The first delfest in 2008 was amazing though....nothing can ever touch it...everyone has been trying to recreate the feeling of that first festival, but it's never been the same. That first year was just pure magic. CANNOT WAIT until tomorrow! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!

Here is RRE's set from late night...it was incredible....they debuted a lot of new songs that night and the music was SPOT on.....also listen to how different they sounded back in 2008 as compared to today.

and for all you deadheads - you've got to love the tune "all alone"....this is the first time it was ever played. I've asked todd before why it rarely shows up in the setlists these days and he said he wished it was played more...I love the song...damn near brings a tear to my eye live - especially this version.

http://archive.org/details/rre2008-05-2 ... cmc.flac16

2008 - late night delfest

01. Happy Song*
02. Been Down This Road (1)
03. Smilin Like a Budda
04. Stillwater Getaway (2)
05. All Alone (3)
06. Hard Livin'(4)
07. Rueben's Train (5)

setlist and info Phil

kalstrom

* Level not locked in...

(1) First time played (written by Todd Sheaffer)

(2) with Ronnie McCoury on mandolin

(3) First time played (music by John Skehan, lyrics by Todd Sheaffer)

(4) First time played

(written by Railroad Earth, featuring Tim Carbone on electric guitar, Johnny Grubb on electric bass, Andy Goessling on tenor and alto saxophone and John Skehan
on banjo)

(5) with Ronnie McCoury on mandolin and Bill Nershi on electric guitar
Gus

New postby DougD » Wed May 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Too late for me to make Delfest, but I can see why it gets your vote. Lots of opportunities for guest sit-ins!

and for all you deadheads - you've got to love the tune "all alone"....this is the first time it was ever played. I've asked todd before why it rarely shows up in the setlists these days and he said he wished it was played more...I love the song...damn near brings a tear to my eye live - especially this version.

I'm trying to figure out why you think Deadheads will particularly like "All Alone?" Because lyrically it sounds somewhat Hunter-esque?

Just goes to prove once again how we're all so different--I'm obviously a Deadhead, but that song doesn't do much for me. I don't hate it or anything, but it's not in my top 10 (probably not even top 20) favorite RRE songs.

You've probably already seen this, but in case you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QaHJ92Svbs

Not sure what to make of your comment re: Todd saying that "he wished it was played more". Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Todd right most of the set lists? Who exactly is stopping him??
DougD

New postby Gus » Wed May 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Yea - he said he wanted to play it at the Stringdusters festival (which is great by the way) last october, but that it has not been making the setlist lately. We saw him smoking a fat cigar outside the brewery after their set and we got to talk with him for a bit.

I'd doubt he writes all the setlists himself.....I'd bet it's more democratic and less authoritarian......

All Alone just has that "dead vibe" to me for some reason....the guitar tone/solo...the vocals....but mostly the chord changes and tempo.

Delfest is gonna rock this year! Mccoury's, Bela, Sam Bush, Steve Martin and a ton of others are all there on sunday....pres hall jazz society, stringdusters, Darol Anger, and Emmitt-Nershi Band. - it's gonna be wild! Hopefully tons of sit ins.
Gus

New postby hoboholic » Wed May 23, 2012 10:00 pm

DougD wrote:I'm trying to figure out why you think Deadheads will particularly like "All Alone?" Because lyrically it sounds somewhat Hunter-esque?

I love John's playing on this song, and Todd's vocals have a haunting quality to them. Wish it was played more often, but it not something I'd put in heavy rotation.

For Festivals this year: Del Fest, Yarmony Grass, Hangstown. YMMV
hoboholic

New postby douger » Thu May 24, 2012 2:04 pm

All Alone...

Also one of my favorite tunes. Haunting without a doubt - it has a lot of depth and anguish, fear, desperation but then wipes all those emotions away with the ultimate line "without you" which ends the chorus and song on a brighter, happier note. But oh the pain during the solos and jam at the end - that's what does it for me!

I've requested it a couple of times with no luck at RRE shows - including last year's Festy but I think they substituted quite nicely with Mountain Time. However, got to hear Todd play it solo at The Middle East in Cambridge, MA a month ago. Check it out:

http://archive.org/details/tsheaffer201 ... 2012-04-26
Put one foot in front of the other, steppin' into the here and now
douger

New postby DougD » Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 pm

douger wrote:Haunting without a doubt - it has a lot of depth and anguish, fear, desperation but then wipes all those emotions away with the ultimate line "without you" which ends the chorus and song on a brighter, happier note

Evidently I'm the odd-man out in this conversation, as it is the two lines "without you" and "Who'll be my bride" that ruin this song for me.

These two lines change the entire context of the song. At first it appears to be an emotionally-heavy song about a person's search for meaning & direction in their life, but then you find out it's just a sappy love song. Meh....

Plus I don't much care for the change in vocals during the "...without you" verse.
DougD

New postby tr3solo » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Id have to say Music Farm in Charleston, SC for the "old south" inspiration one gets when visiting the city and also for the rowdy crowd due to it's healthy "jam" scene.

Also going to have to say Music On The Mountaintop for obvious reasons.
"Mama sang a song of love I've carried all my days" -Todd Sheaffer
tr3solo

New postby DougD » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm

TR3--You nailed it with the Charleston recommendation!

I have no idea if the Charleston show has been the best show of the year so far, & certainly have no way of knowing whether or not it will go down as the best show of the year, but I don't see how we could have had any more fun! (Well, on second thought, if that hot little filly dancing in front of me all night long had accompanied me home I guess the night could have gotten better...)

What a fun night that was....great band, great club, great food, beautiful women....please God arrange it so that RRE returns to Chucktown sometime soon!! Plus a super stylish one bedroom hotel room for only 20,000 Marriot points! It doesn't get a whole lot better than that!
DougD

New postby Don McGurrin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:19 am

The two shows I would say to make.

I know Defest is over with but that one.

Thanksgiving shows at Sherman Theater is the other.
http://www.raindanceimages.com

Up coming shows:
Delfest
Gratefulfest
Bears Picnic
Don McGurrin

Return to RRE discussion