RRE Mexico 2012, It's On...Destination Railroad Earth

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

RRE Mexico 2012, It's On...Destination Railroad Earth

New postby El Ron » Wed May 16, 2012 1:07 pm

Now that is a great announcement to read this afternoon. Pack up your bags folks. Time to spend the "Mayan" end of the world in Mexico this December. YAH!!!! Warm weather and margaritas! Thank you Yonder Mountain String Band, The Infamous Stringdusters, Railroad Earth & Leftover Salmon and of course Cloud 9 Adventures. BEACHGRASS INDEED!!!!!
http://www.stringsandsol.com/
El Ron

http://www.elron.tumblr.com
RRE TCB 2011
El Ron

Re: RRE Mexico 2012, It's On...Destination Railroad Earth

New postby DMT » Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Tulum resorts are an environmental catastophe. The rampant over development of that section of the Mexican coast has been a tragady. Why is RRE supporting these large resorts that have been built without environmental regulation????? Cancun has spread down the coast to Tulum and destroyed everything in its path. That includes human culture and the ecosytem. If you want to be an ugly american than this is the trip for you. RRE sings songs that speak against the tragadies that have occurred when buisness trumps logic. So, why support in another nation? At one time Tulum was an out of the way place but the winds of change have turned that. "No need to save it now, its never going to last."
DMT

New postby DougD » Wed May 16, 2012 1:58 pm

HOLY SHIT! Now THIS is interesting!!

I'm big into scuba diving & have been to this area (Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, & Tulum) many times to dive the cenotes (underwater caves). I first went to Playa about 15 years ago when it was mostly unpaved & just a backpacker's hangout--very chill, very cool, & cheap. I've been there nearly a dozen times since then, most recently this past February for a week of diving. Now there are several Starbucks & Ben & Jerry's, a Burger King, McDonald's, etc. on 5th Avenue...obviously not so chill of a place anymore, & definitely no longer cheap, either.

I told several people after this last trip that it was probably the last time I would be going to Playa. At this point I've dove most of the caves & it's simply gotten too touristy for my taste.

However, I may have to make an exception....Tulum is still VERY chill & has beautiful beaches. Anyone have any questions about this area, ask away. But before anyone asks, let me address the safety issue:

Anyone who has any awareness whatsoever knows that there is a HUGE problem with violence relating to the drug cartels in Mexico. Just a few days ago they dumped about 40 bodies (with heads & hands cut off) on the side of the road in some town in northern Mexico.

That said, there is ZERO problem with violence in this area of Mexico. Seriously. I have been here many times, never once had a problem, nor do I know of anyone who has ever had a problem. It's simply a non-issue. ALL of the problems relating to violence & the cartels is concentrated in northern Mexico, Mexico City, and to a lesser degree in Acapulco, but that's on the other coast of Mexico. The only problems tourists to this area are likely to encounter are overpriced fake cuban cigars, shitty weed, intestinal irregularities & tequila-induced hangovers.

This festival sounds like an absolute A+ (albeit a somewhat expensive one)!
DougD

New postby DougD » Wed May 16, 2012 2:24 pm

DMT wrote:Tulum resorts are an environmental catastophe. The rampant over development of that section of the Mexican coast has been a tragady. Why is RRE supporting these large resorts that have been built without environmental regulation????? Cancun has spread down the coast to Tulum and destroyed everything in its path. That includes human culture and the ecosytem. If you want to be an ugly american than this is the trip for you. RRE sings songs that speak against the tragadies that have occurred when buisness trumps logic. So, why support in another nation? At one time Tulum was an out of the way place but the winds of change have turned that. "No need to save it now, its never going to last."

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the environmental effects tourism-related development has / is having on Tulum. From what I have been told & seen, however, it appears that TPTB have learned from the mistakes made in Cancun (and to a lesser extent in Playa) and development is progressing more thoughtfully in Tulum with an effort to emulate Costa Rica / Belize eco-tourism model versus Cancun/Acapulco "anything goes" high rise model.

There is no doubt that the Mexican Riviera is a unique ecosystem, & that development of any kind will have a negative impact. From a strictly environmental perspective, the best way to protect an ecosystem is to ban development of any kind. This is not going to happen, however, so responsible development geared towards eco-tourism is likely the best way forward.
DougD

New postby DMT » Wed May 16, 2012 3:16 pm

sorry for the rant. I agree, eco tourism is the way. Heres a link to something on the environmental state of the "Riviera"
http://www.bluechannel24.com/?p=10064
DMT

New postby El Ron » Wed May 16, 2012 7:37 pm

"Ugly American"???

I am going to try to go because four bands are playing that I like in Mexico. It is a safe area from what I have heard and it will be fun to be chilling at the resort with some good friends. That is the way I am seeing this production that is being put on by Cloud 9, Jam Cruise folks.
El Ron

http://www.elron.tumblr.com
RRE TCB 2011
El Ron

New postby TahoeBob » Wed May 16, 2012 10:19 pm

All I can say is that I applaud anyone who can afford a couple grand to do something like this. For me, it's just a dream. Enjoy! :)
TahoeBob

New postby DMT » Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Sorry, I wasn't calling anyone here an "ugly american". That is a term thats refers to how Americans behave when they travel to other countries. It was the US doller that killed that part of Mexico and any money spent there will just contribute to the sad state of affairs. These Mangroves protect(ed) the shore from storm erosion on an very hurricane prone coast. Resorts wipe out Mangroves and the run off drestroys the reefs. Enjoy your time but just understand that it is at the expense of others well being and the well being of the planet. This year I have the money to make this trip but in the past I promised myself I would never return to that area. On a side note to anyone interested. If you want to see Mayan ruins than your going to have to travel. Tulum is not an ancient city. More like a little port or lighthouse on pretty spot. Its very small in comparison to countless Mayan ruins. Get ready to travel if you want to experience the Mayan heartland. Also, be prepared to find out that the Mayans don't care about 2012. That end of the calander thing was made up by new age folks. But the Mexicans sure will be willing to cash in on a fad. Who needs Mangroves when you can have Margaritas!
DMT

New postby DougD » Tue May 22, 2012 12:58 pm

When this fest was announced I was thinking how cool it would be to be able to attend w/out having to stay at the resort. I'm not a fan of all-inclusive resorts, plus I prefer to spend less $$ on accommodation in order to spend more on activities (fishing, diving, etc.). To my surprise, I found out that it IS possible to pay to attend the fest but stay elsewhere; according to the Strings & Sol website:

Due to the unique nature of having Strings & Sol in Tulum and limited accommodations at the resort, a very limited number of off-site 4-Day Event Passes are available for $995 per person. You can purchase a 4-Day Event Pass to gain access to the resort and attend the shows while staying off site at the place of your choice. 4-Day Event Passes include all-inclusive amenities at Dreams Tulum* as well as event access, but you are responsible for purchasing your own accommodations.

So let me make sure I understand this right--I can spend $1,000 to attend the festival but have to pay extra $$ to stay elsewhere. Or I can stay at the resort & pay $1,200 & share a room with two others or $1,250 & split a room with one other person.

Not much of a choice; what a let-down....
DougD

New postby railroadbill » Tue May 22, 2012 9:27 pm

^^^OUCH!^^^
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

New postby DougD » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:04 pm

For any of you lucky enough to be headed to the Strings & Sol festival:

I realize that this festival is being held at an all-inclusive resort, & no doubt you'll be staying up partying 'till the early morning, but IMHO if you don't take the time & effort to leave the resort & check out the surrounding area(s) you'll be making a huge mistake.

This area of the Yucatan is famous for it's underwater caves (cenotes) and even if you aren't a certified diver, there are open areas in many of the caves you can snorkel. The water is crystal clear (virtually unlimited visibility) and diving / snorkeling in these caves is an amazing experience! Check out what it looks like:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&suge ... 8AT0jIDoCA

Another must-do is to eat at few of the great restaurants in the area; three of my favorite are:

Taco Paco: this is a tiny restaurant located alongside the highway from Playa to Tulum. I think it's next to Centro Maya underneath the overpass alongside the exit to Puerto Aventuras, but either way it's located next to a gas station & a "Subway" sub shop (yuck). The fish & shrimp tacos are delicious and cheap.

El Fogon: There are probably 3 locations located around Playa. This is the go-to place for a cave man meat-eating experience! If you're a vegetarian, not-so-much. It's an open-air / open grill restaurant, plastic chairs, very no-frills. But the food is great! Thus why it's packed with locals & always very busy.

Los Aquachiles: Located on the corner of Calle 34 & Avenue 25 in Playa del Carmen. It's always packed & you'll likely have to wait 15 minutes for a seat. Buy a beer, sit on the sidewalk, and wait--it's worth it! Very unlikely you'll have seafood tacos like this anywhere else (several sushi-style choices), great sauces & ceviche. This place used to be only open for lunch; someone told me they're staying open later now, but I'd try to get there by 4PM in case that's not correct.

For any of you who decide to check out 5th Avenue in Playa: the entire lower end (near the pier where you catch the ferries to Cozumel) is very touristy & a waste of time, & IMO it's more interesting to check out 5th Ave at night than it is during the day. For better shopping & eating, head north on 5th, basically from 28th Street or so north. Of course the restaurants directly on 5th Ave are more expensive than those off the main drag, and often as not, no better.

For those going, safe travels & hope you have an amazing time! Here's hoping the diving & food is half as good as the music!
DougD

Return to RRE discussion