How can RRE grow & break out to next level as touring band?

The spot for RRE related discourse.

Moderator: Barbara

How can RRE grow & break out to next level as touring band?

New postby DougD » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:19 am

I am a big RRE fan & have the utmost amount of respect for TS's skills both as singer-songwriter & as composer.They are one of the few bands who's music (not often, but often enough to keep me listening) borders on the transcendent.

That said, thus far RRE has not experienced or maintained the level of touring success that some of their peers currently enjoy. What can RRE do to increase the size of their fanbase & break out to the next level as a touring band?

*Disclaimer: While all of us enjoy seeing our favorite bands in small, intimate settings, touring is an expensive grind, so from the band's perspective, I assume they want to increase their fanbase & continually play larger & larger venues.
DougD

Re: How can RRE grow & break out to next level as touring band?

New postby Gus » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Isnt that what they tried to do by signing that record deal? That last album tried a bit too hard (in my opinion) to break into a new market - and be "radio music"....

This band writes real music...songs that have actual depth. Look at Pop music...it has no substance....that is not what makes a band successful....hype makes a band successful, and of course - selling out like a little bitch.

They already play in some of the best venues in the country - and all the great music festivals. The question I have is where do they go now? It's hard to continue pushing the borders of creativity when your touring the same circuit year after year....not exactly spinning your wheels, but definitely repeating yourself over and over again....it's easy to get burned out.

Just had a thought - I bet these guys would do great playing music in Ireland and europe in general. They should branch out to an international audience - it should come as no surprise that the europeans have much better taste for REAL music than we do. They appreciate jazz and blues on a level that america does not - most of the top artists from those genres spend more time touring in europe than they do in the US.

I think that it would be great for them to do a tour of ireland first and get a fanbase going over there....not only that..but it would break them out of the mold of constantly playing hippie-jamband festivals and it would give them new experiences to write music about...it would affect the instrumental music, as well as the verbal message.
Gus

New postby DougD » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:08 pm

hype makes a band successful, and of course - selling out like a little bitch.

No one's suggesting that Todd start writing mainstream pop music or for RRE to "sell out", whatever that means. "Selling out" is a loaded term that can mean different things to different people. I'm sure there is a segment of fans who wish RRE would stick to their bluegrass/Celtic sound and consider their electric / more rock sound as "selling out". But consider what Dylan did at Newport in '65 when he went electric--some people definitely accused him of "selling out", but that was the moment that marked his transition from traditional singer-songwriter to true rock star.

They already play in some of the best venues in the country - and all the great music festivals. The question I have is where do they go now? It's hard to continue pushing the borders of creativity when your touring the same circuit year after year....not exactly spinning your wheels, but definitely repeating yourself over and over again....it's easy to get burned out.

Yea, this is exactly what I'm referring to--where does RRE go from here? As the saying goes "If you continue doing what you've always done, you'll continue getting what you've always got". Personally I love seeing RRE play in smaller clubs, but for their sake I'd like them to increase their fanbase & play ever-larger venues. The question is, how do they make this happen?

Just had a thought - I bet these guys would do great playing music in Ireland and europe in general. They should branch out to an international audience - it should come as no surprise that the europeans have much better taste for REAL music than we do. They appreciate jazz and blues on a level that america does not - most of the top artists from those genres spend more time touring in europe than they do in the US. I think that it would be great for them to do a tour of ireland first and get a fanbase going over there....not only that..but it would break them out of the mold of constantly playing hippie-jamband festivals and it would give them new experiences to write music about...it would affect the instrumental music, as well as the verbal message.

Very much agree, but logistically & from a purely financial standpoint I wonder how feasible this is? Six band members plus a couple of crew, all that gear & equipment . . . that's some serious $$ overhead. But MOE. & DSO are headed to Europe soon, so if they can swing it maybe RRE can too?

It would be interesting to find out the attendance figures of an average RRE show as compared to bands like MOE., Disco Biscuits, DSO, etc..

Regardless, the question remains--how does RRE grow from where they are now to say...where a band like SCI or Wilco is? I don't think it's about talent--they've certainly got more than enough of that.

Like any business (and make no mistake--while Todd & the boys are artists & musicians first--they are in the music business) I think it all boils down to strategy & execution.
DougD

New postby Gus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:37 pm

Selling out is sacrificing your dignity and artistic control for fast money. Plain and simple. Selling out is when a producer molds your sound to what he thinks will be most immediately profitable without consideration to the longevity of the artist. This is not a dylan goes electric type of issue.

I'm not a fan of jam bands really.....but you are comparing RRE to moe and disco biscuits...different style of music/audience/attitude entirely. Those bands are a joke to me.

My point was maybe they should try to branch out and do something new instead of what they've been doing over and over for a decade now. Think of all the money they spend driving from show to show....room and board...other expenses just from touring he usa. Would it really be that much more expensive to do a tour of ireland/england where their music and style might resonate with an entirely new audience? Get a great local band of the same vein to open the shows to bring people in.

I mean hell - you really wanna cut costs? Just take acoustic instruments over there and do a "pub tour" around those countries...figure out who the local musicians are and invite them to sit in on some shows..hell, even record a live album in the pubs of ireland with local irish musicians sitting in.....its fresh, new, and inexpensive. Word would spread fast about RRE if they would do that. I wish I could catch a few of those hypothetical shows!

There is no way in hell RRE is gonna be the next big time band....it's just not what they are built for...the songs are too deep, the audience is a bit older, and I dont know of too many bands on that level that regularly engage in multiple 20 minute live jams in one concert - or record a 12 minute instrumental song on their "radio friendly" album.

These guys are a road dog band plain and simple. That is exactly why grubb wanted out...and why j. cobb left the stringdusters....they dont want to play all those gigs all the time...they've been there done that....they have a family to raise and both have now joined bands that tour significantly less but still play great shows and release great albums.

RRE cant last forever either.....at what point does another fracture occur? Who knows, it could be for the best.
Gus

New postby El Ron » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:22 am

The next level is bigger venues. Not sure why playing bigger venues is called "selling out". Why can't they have their cake and eat it too. I love the Allman Brothers band scenario where they do a residency every year at the Beacon for pretty much a month and people fly all the country to do these shows. Maybe I might be jaded as I live in the tri-state area and can just take the train into the city to catch a show but ABB has gotten to that level of getting the monies to sustain a level of life that they are happy with whilst playing as little shows as possible throughout the whole year.
El Ron

http://www.elron.tumblr.com
RRE TCB 2011
El Ron

New postby DMT » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:36 am

I'm pretty sure they have played in the UK and Japan. But I agree a european audiance would love them more than americans. More sophisticated over there. And as you said it would add some new influence
DMT

New postby Gus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 am

El Ron......Bigger Venues? They already play at the some of the best music venues in every major city in the US - year after year. Whats a bigger venue to you - arenas? They are not an arena band - that's for sure. What are these bigger venues you speak of? They also play every HUGE music festival from east to west and everywhere in-between.....I'd say they have pretty much peaked and plateaued in terms of the size of venue they are able to play. At no point did I equate bigger venues with "selling out"...read the first paragraph of my last post for a good definition of what selling out truly is.

You cannot really compare RRE to the Allmans either....that band created a following 40 years ago - not to mention the fact that it was during the peak of the "classic rock" era - and people valued live music and vinyl much more than america as a whole does today. The allmans are also an EPIC band who's songs are able to be both instrumentally complex, yet tap into a "common man" type of sound that makes them accessible to everyone....they have commercial "radio" success, and they also maintain their integrity as real artists...they have gone through many iterations as well, and have done a good job of evolving the band into what it is today...which is a far cry from the days of duane and dickey....they almost sound like two different bands if you compare the two eras....the old is raw, combustible and rocking....the new is more sophisticated, polished and refined....I prefer the old personally.

"ABB has gotten to that level of getting the monies to sustain a level of life that they are happy with whilst playing as little shows as possible throughout the whole year."

How can you even compare the $$$ reserves of railroad with the allmans!

We all seem to agree that RRE has kind of plateaued in terms of growing and evolving their band. It's just the nature of the circles they run in...they are not even a 1st tier band in those circles. The never actually headline any of the major festivals they play, and they never will. How do you expect them to leap to the next level when they have not even mastered their own domain yet? Some people just dont like the band....I've heard various reasons - a lot of folks I know simply cannot stand todd's voice and walk away simply based on that - others find some of the songs to be "cheesy/corny" (hard livin' and happy song come to mind) - - - - I could go on, but you get the idea.

I really like the band, but I feel that maybe it's time for a change.... a big change. It's only a matter of time before it happens...they are getting older and probably growing weary of the road. The lifestyle is fun for a while, but it flip-flops and turns into a nightmare if you let it.....I could see a few members branching away to do something else while a core remains to carry on the band.....I dont want to say that I wish they would break up and reform, but they need to evaluate what is working and what is not - then go from there. They have to change something in the equation if they want to change the results.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
Gus

New postby douger » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 pm

From where I sit (or stand 10 feet back from the rail on Skehan’s side), this is a really wonderful time for the band and I say “enjoy it”! They are more consistently selling out shows – that’s a huge thing. I’ve also noticed the tour and break strategy seems more band member family friendly than in years past. Weekend runs in markets where they do well and it feels like more extended down time in between. Sure they have this winter tour right now but I think they had a lot of time off in December and January which is good from a thousand standpoints.

I don’t understand the comment that something needs to change. Things change all the time of their own accord. I feel incredibly fortunate to have this music in my life as I’m sure all of you do – this does not happen very often.
Put one foot in front of the other, steppin' into the here and now
douger

New postby DougD » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm not a fan of jam bands really.....but you are comparing RRE to moe and disco biscuits...different style of music/audience/attitude entirely. Those bands are a joke to me.

Although I used MOE & the Disco Biscuits as examples of successful touring bands (though I have no idea how their average nightly ticket sales compare to RRE), I wasn't comparing their style of music to that of RRE, nor do I particularly enjoy either bands music. In January I went to see my first MOE show (just 'cause they were in town & I wanted to see what all the hype was about) but I left after the 1st set. To each their own I guess, but they did nothing for me.

Anyway, I don't disagree with anything you wrote. Your idea of RRE doing a European tour is an interesting one...hell, I'd very seriously consider flying over for those "hypothetical" shows. I couldn't afford to do it when the Dead went to Europe in the fall of 1990 (I was in college at the time), but I had friends who did--they had a great time & I've always regretted not joining them...

No doubt the chances of RRE being "the next big band" is unlikely in the extreme, and I get what you're saying about them being a quintessential touring band. However, that hardly makes RRE unique. The truth of the matter is that the music business has changed drastically--no one buys music anymore, so touring (and merchandise!!) is virtually the only way for almost any band to make money these days.

Personally I hope RRE is still touring in 10 years, as they are making amazing music. Can they tour at this level for a lifetime? Of course they can, but at their current level of success I’m guessing they’re basically paying the bills…and after a lifetime at this level you end up with a career like that of The Radiators. I’m not belittling or taking anything away from those guys--I happen to like them a lot & they definitely left their mark. They made some great music, put on some great shows, went farther than most bands and attained an enviable level of success. However, I’m sure they dreamed of greater fame & longer lasting success (& the financial rewards that follow) and in the end they simply tired of the grind. And to your point, the Rads are an example of a band who--although they were able to stay together & keep touring for 30 years & never had to get a day job--more or less kept on doing the same thing night after night for the same group of fans. At some point they stopped increasing their fan base, and as their fans got older their attendance figures slowly yet steadily fell.

You’re probably right that RRE won’t achieve the same level of success that bands like Phish, DMB, or even WSP have reached (though IMHO their music is immeasurably better than all the above) but I do think they are capable of breaking through to the next level, say to that of SCI or even a WILCO (one of the other few great bands on the scene today). The question to be answered is why haven’t they, and what do they need to do in order to get there?

Obviously I have my own thoughts and ideas, but I'm more interested in hearing the thoughts & ideas of others.
DougD

New postby DougD » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Bigger Venues? They already play at the some of the best music venues in every major city in the US - year after year. Whats a bigger venue to you - arenas? They are not an arena band - that's for sure. What are these bigger venues you speak of?

I don't think anyone is expecting RRE to play arenas anytime soon or probably even ever (see earlier post). But bigger venues beyond the clubs they are currently playing certainly exist and aren't necessarily a pipe-dream. For example The Fox Theater in Atlanta instead of The Variety Playhouse, The Filmore in Miami instead of The Culture Room, etc.

Those are examples next-level venues that bands like Wilco & SCI book, and if a band can consistently tour at that level, they can definitely bank some money & touring probably isn't such a grind.

This is my wish for RRE.
DougD

New postby Gus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Good discussion going here - I am a huge fan of the band, although as of late I guess it has not been as "magical" as it used to be for me. Not to say that it's not good, but it seems as though it may be a little forced compared to the natural flow I've seen in years past. I guess it changes every night...sometimes your off a bit, other times your ON FIRE.

It does get tiresome running the same circuit over and over - I'm not sure how they could elevate their status other than to change up the equation somehow. I feel they are a way better live band than their studio albums give them credit for....they have been showing their stuff all across the country for a long time now, so it seems they may need to do more in another area.....even touring in other countries may not solve the problem....although that irish pub tour I mentioned would RULE.

Here is an idea - what are some other bands that actually have risen out of the grind? Name names and figure out exactly what it is they did to ascend. A lot of bands do extended tours with bigger bands, or they have some famous, established figure tour with them as part of the band (cough, cough, steep canyon - look at how they ascended recently).

Another thing - someone mentioned this being the music "business"....thats true. Analyze this like a business strategy....who are their major competitors in the markets they engage? Yonder? Leftover? Avett Sisters (yuk)? What is it about the RRE "business" model that is not bringing them to the next level....if a business is remaining stagnant and not growing the board members change the business plan to accommodate growth...change is GOOD, but it can also break what you already have going if your not careful.

Just had a thought:

Look at pink floyd for example...there is a band that rose up out of nowhere....they played for years with SYD in london....he was the main songwriter...the bandleader, but their strategy was not working and syd was ruining everything. One night they decided not to pick him up before a gig and got an old friend, david gilmour to join the band. With gilmour they were space cadets...a whole new direction was forged....they explored inner and outer space with their music...just watch the film "live in pompeii" if you dont know much about this era of pink floyd...LOTS of experimentation - the directors cut also includes footage of them recording their BREAKOUT album - dark side of the moon. Now it is overplayed and taken for granted, but at the time that album resonated with people in such a way that it awoke the sleeping giant of pink floyd....They did a massive two year tour of that album and played all over the place in the finest venues of the day.they figured out their niche...their sound....their fanbase and the rest is history. had it not been for that album, I doubt many people would have ever heard of pink floyd.

What if RRE wrote the most amazing album known to man? An album that resonated with the spirit of the times...a piece of high art. This would be an improvement in a weak area (studio albums) and could also be a vehicle to spread the seed to the masses and generate more interest in the band. They have the musical ability and the songwriting talent....they need to tap into the zeitgeist and dig around.....keep it simple, and put the egos aside (tim).

One thing is for sure...RRE have stuck true to their own ideals and artistic motives this long...I can really respect that in a band. They are authentic as it gets and true to their craft - each one is an incredible piece of the puzzle. One other question remains....what level of ambition, if any, do they have of growing the band into the behemoth this thread is discussing?
Gus

New postby DougD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 pm

From an earlier post it appears the sold out The Paradise in Boston a few weeks ago--evidently that place has a capacity of about 1,000.

Anyone know what the crowd was like at the Best Buy Theater in NYC on Feb. 25th.? Their website indicates a capacity of 2,100. If they are selling out (or coming close to selling out) these sized theaters on a consistent basis than perhaps they already have broken through to the next level! If that's so then congrats & I guess we can close this thread!
DougD

New postby DougD » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:30 pm

What if RRE wrote the most amazing album known to man? An album that resonated with the spirit of the times...a piece of high art. This would be an improvement in a weak area (studio albums) and could also be a vehicle to spread the seed to the masses and generate more interest in the band. They have the musical ability and the songwriting talent....they need to tap into the zeitgeist and dig around.....

Well, if they can do that (write/create the most amazing album known to man) than I think it's safe to say that everything else would fall into place....soon they'd be playing & selling out stadiums (you know, those arena shows none of us think is likely to happen) and then we'll all be bitching about how big they've gotten, how expensive ticket prices are, and how hard it to get tickets to all their sold out shows! "From your lips to God's ears" as the saying goes, but that's a bit more than unrealistic, no?

I mean, I think Todd's song-writing abilities are right up there with the best of them, & he's definitely surrounded himself with a great group of musicians, but still, that's quite the tall order, going against the like of Neil, Dylan, Van Morrison, Lennon & McCartney, Springsteen, etc. One step at a time I say. I just want them to make enough coin so that touring isn't such a drag & they don't get burned out like so many bands do.

If it's true that the only way to make money in the music business today is via touring, than I think they solution is in A) consistently delivering to their fans (customers) an emotionally-fulfilling concert experience (product), and B) scheduling tours that aren't such a physical grind.

Easier said than done perhaps, but how's the saying go..."nothing worthwhile was ever easy"?
DougD

New postby hoboholic » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:15 pm

DougD wrote:
Bigger Venues? They already play at the some of the best music venues in every major city in the US - year after year. Whats a bigger venue to you - arenas? They are not an arena band - that's for sure. What are these bigger venues you speak of?

I don't think anyone is expecting RRE to play arenas anytime soon or probably even ever (see earlier post). But bigger venues beyond the clubs they are currently playing certainly exist and aren't necessarily a pipe-dream. For example The Fox Theater in Atlanta instead of The Variety Playhouse, The Filmore in Miami instead of The Culture Room, etc.

Or the Warfield in San Francisco which I like better than the Fillmore, or the Bank 1 Center in the Denver area (I like the Ogden but they are filling it past capacity).

I agree with Doug, plenty of room to grow and plenty of places to do it in
hoboholic

New postby Gus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 am

hoboholic wrote:
DougD wrote:

Or the Warfield in San Francisco which I like better than the Fillmore, or the Bank 1 Center in the Denver area (I like the Ogden but they are filling it past capacity).

I agree with Doug, plenty of room to grow and plenty of places to do it in

Ok - so you play the Warfield - then what? Record sales go through the roof? Cover of Rolling Stone Magazine?

I think that those higher end venues are kind of a by-product of successfully connecting with a larger core group of fans. We already know they can tour and play a great live show, but I think there are other areas that if improved and ramped up could bring those types of rewards naturally.
Gus

New postby DougD » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Ok - so you play the Warfield - then what? Record sales go through the roof? Cover of Rolling Stone Magazine?

Not at all. No one buys records/CDs these days, & no where is this more true than in the "jam band" scene. (I know the term "jam band" bothers some people, but I'm using it to describe RRE's fans more so than the band itself.)

From Billboard magazine: "The music business remains in a state of turmoil. CD sales continue to fall. Untested business models emerge with the promise of new revenue streams. But as our fifth annual Money Makers ranking demonstrates, touring remains the most important income generator for most of the industry's top earners."

RRE is probably never going to make significant amounts of money selling CDs--it's a dead business model. They are always going to be dependent on ticket sales (touring) for the bulk of their revenue, thus the importance of increasing their fan base & playing larger capacity venues.

I think that those higher end venues are kind of a by-product of successfully connecting with a larger core group of fans. We already know they can tour and play a great live show, but I think there are other areas that if improved and ramped up could bring those types of rewards naturally.

This is the heart of what my original post was all about--how they go from where they are now, i.e., The Fillmore (seating capacity 1200) to The Warfield (seating capacity 2200).

And again you're right--they can play a great live show with eyes closed and each with one hand tied behind their back.

So what are those "other areas that if improved" could "connect them with a larger core group of fans"?

That is the fundamental question that remains unanswered.
DougD

New postby railroadbill » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:39 pm

DougD wrote:[i]This is the heart of what my original post was all about--how they go from where they are now, i.e., The Fillmore (seating capacity 1200) to The Warfield (seating capacity 2200).

It will take a concert promoter with the stones, and the faith in RRE, to be willing to book them into the bigger venues; or management could approach one of the larger venues with a "percentage of the gate" proposal. It will be somewhat a crap shoot but until they are given the chance to prove their ability to draw the larger numbers, I'm afraid they will be pigeon-holed as a small venue band.

And as for CD sales, I believe I read somewhere recently that within the music industry as a whole there are more CDs sold off the "merch table" that in "record stores". And also more downloads purchased that than CDs. Until "fans" realize that every torrent and "on the D" dl takes money away form the band; and that, unfortunately it is money that keeps the band alive it will be difficult for any band to grow and prosper.

just my $.02 worth and I'll step down form the soapbox now
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

New postby DougD » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:03 pm

One other question remains....what level of ambition, if any, do they have of growing the band into the behemoth this thread is discussing?

I just assume every band wants to be more successful (i.e., to play larger venues) not only for the financial rewards that the increased ticket sales bring, but also for reasons of ego & personal enjoyment & gratification. I'm guessing that playing for 2,000 fans getting off on your music is a bigger high (performance wise) than playing for 800 fans...have no idea if this is true, just assuming that the high / adrenaline rush one gets from performing is similar to the high you get from other drugs, i.e., you continually need more to re-capture that same feeling.

I'm guessing that most of us are in agreement that RRE is never going to be playing stadium & arenas, & I actually think this could be a good thing, not only for fans, but for the band as well.

If a band can get to the point where they are consistently filling 2,000 person capacity theaters, they're probably living a pretty good life. Your famous & admired enough to get to play with other musicians you respect & admire, you fly to some shows or drive in a nice bus to the others, stay in luxury hotels, enjoy great restaurants, etc., all while also getting a decent amount of time off.

Most importantly, presumably you're making enough money to support your family (nice house, nice cars, enough money to send your kids to college, take vacations, etc.), plus saving up for your old age, while at the same time being able to preserve your anonymity.

Because while the rich part of "rich & famous" might be nice, overall I bet being famous is a real drag.
DougD

New postby grumpin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:28 pm

I've read this entire thread, and I think it's a good one. I'm a fan so I'm biased when I say this, but I think RRE are one of, if not the most talented band on the "jam band circuit", playing today. Saying that, I don't think RRE will ever be playing arenas or stadiums. Country music stars play those venues, and RRE is just to the left of country. They, I believe, created their own type of music. They aren't country or bluegrass, or rock, or jamband (as in phish, disco, etc..). I know I'm enjoying the ride I'm on with them, seeing them in smaller venues, close to the stage, and easily getting tickets when I want one. Without knowing the band personally, it would be interesting to know their thoughts on this subject. Do you they envy Phish, Furthur, etc.? Do they even wanna play bigger venues? I don't know.

I like the intimate feel the band & their fans give off. From El Ron organizing a pre show party, to the few lucky times I've been out to the barn in Stillwater to attend a party & see them play. It feels homegrown & friendly. But again, I'm a fan, not knowing their accounting details. There aren't many bands I see live that offer the friendly vibe like RRE does. It's hard to know what the band is thinking though.

Saying that, I don't see RRE blowing up. I thought, IMO, they tried to "cross the gap" and go mainstream a bit with their last album, which is a great album. Long Walk Home can easily be pictured playing on the radio. But it's just not happening. Either way, I'm enjoying the ride with RRE & wish them success with whatever THEY want to achieve through this.
"There are UFO's over New York, and no one seems to mind" -John Lennon
grumpin

New postby railroadbill » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm

DougD wrote:I'm guessing that most of us are in agreement that RRE is never going to be playing stadium & arenas, & I actually think this could be a good thing, not only for fans, but for the band as well.

I agree. I think it would be a bad thing, for both fans and the band, if RRE moved into venues large enough to draw the "There's music here? I'm only here for the beer." crowd. I do, however, feel the band is talented enough, and has the loyal following to fill larger venues and maintain the "integrity" of the show.
there came a time for the old man
when a place of beauty, a lay of land
spoke out to him, said understand,
you should rest now
* avatar image by: Craig McCudden, aka Tapecat
railroadbill

Next

Return to RRE discussion